What is the National Street Gazetteer?

A gazetteer is a geographical index. The National Street Gazetteer (NSG) is the definitive source of information about streets in England and Wales. findmystreet.co.uk uses data that’s held in the most up to date version of the NSG. 

How is the National Street Gazetteer created?

Street details are collected locally by 174 local highway authorities. Each local highway authority uses the data it collects to create a Local Street Gazetteer. Once a month, that updated information is sent to the team at GeoPlace LLP. 

The GeoPlace team verifies this data and combines it with other details sent in by bodies such as Transport for London (TfL), Welsh Government, and Network Rail. As one large dataset, this information then populates the National Street Gazetteer. 

Who uses the National Street Gazetteer?

The NSG is used by local authorities, statutory undertakers – organisations with a legal right to dig in the street such as utility and telecoms companies, contractors and anyone who needs to work with official street information in England and Wales. 

Local authorities use the NSG as a central, trusted source of information to underpin all kinds of public services. Everything from rubbish collection to planning for new housing developments and organising streetworks (or roadworks) in their area. 

Some companies also have a legal right or obligation to work on the highways, such as utilities and telecoms providers. These businesses are known as statutory undertakers. 

Working together, these organisations all use the National Street Gazetteer to help minimise disruption on the network and improve public safety. 

You’ll find more information about the NSG on the GeoPlace website. 

Changing street details in the National Street Gazetteer

findmystreet.co.uk takes its information from the National Street Gazetteer. Updates to the National Street Gazetteer can only be made by the approved highway authorities. 

Any observations about the information shown by findmystreet.co.uk should be made directly to the appropriate local highway authority.